Steelers 2013 Season Comes To An End (8-8)
AP summarized the game and the Steelers season as well as anyone: "Pittsburgh played like it didn't want its season to end. Cleveland looked like as though it couldn't wait to pack things up and go home...The Browns got their wish. The Steelers did not." Steelers drummed the Browns 20-7.
The fact is the Steelers lost games in the beginning of the season they should have won. Then---in the final eight weeks of the season---they went a respectable 6-2. The offense gets most of the credit considering they scored at least 20 points for the ninth straight time (their longest streak in 11 seasons). Unfortunately, it was not enough. The Steelers failed to make the playoffs for the second straight season.
In looking at the "glass half full" scenarios, perhaps the way the season ended today portends a brighter outlook for the 2014 season.
Season's Significant Numbers:
- Le'Veon Bell set the franchise rookie record for yards from scrimmage with 1259 yards rushing surpassing the previous record held by Franco Harris in 1972 (1235 in 14 games). This was a remarkable achievement considering he missed the first three games of the season. He recorded 8 TD's for the season.
- Antonio Brown also sealed a spot in franchise history with his 1,399th receiving yard against Green Bay. He ended the season with 1,499 yards on 110 receptions. Brown also recorded 8 TD's for the season.
- Roethlisberger ended the season with 4,261 yards on 584 attempts with a 64.2% completion record and 28 TD's. Passer rating = 92.0.
- Emmanuel Sanders ended the season with 740 yards on 67 receptions and 6 TD's.
- Heath Miller 593 yards on 58 receptions and 1 TD.
- Jerricho Cotchery had 46 receptions for 602 yards and 10 TD's.
- On defense, Jason Worilds recorded 8 sacks, Cameron Heyward 5, LaMarr Woodley 5, and Lawence Timmons 3 sacks. Team Total: 34.
- Team interceptions total: 3 with one each for Polamalu, Gay and Cortez Allen.
- Total first downs: 312 (opponents 303).
- Third down conversions: 82/216.
- Fourth down conversions: 9/15
- Total offensive yards: 5,400 (opponents: 5,395)
- Total rushing yards: 1,383 (opponent 1,849).
- Total passing yards: 4,017.
- Field goals: 30/32.
- Touchdowns: 41.
- Time of Possession: 30:53 (opponents 29:06).
Pittsburgh Steelers.com, PG, Fox Sports, CBS Sports